Friday, July 18, 2008

Batman: The Dark Knight


At the moment I'm pretty stressed out trying to get everything done before I leave on Sunday. So I was pleased to receive an invitation to a special pre-release showing of the new Batman movie. It was fantastic. Much better than the other movies in the series. I especially liked the fact that it was actually surprising. A number of times the film went in a totally different direction than I expected. Seeing Heath Ledger perform so well as The Joker just reconfirms what a tragedy his death was.

(As an aside: I recently read an interview with Dr. Drew Pinsky where he criticized Heath's family and friends for not being more forthright about how the abuse of prescription drugs led to his death. Pinsky is shifting from sex-education to drug-abuse-education because he thinks this has become an even worse public health menace than HIV.)

Maggie Gyllenhaal also does a terrific job.

Thumbs up all around. It manages to sustain a sense of darkness and menace throughout. Little wonder it's getting such stellar reviews...

-t

No comments: