Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sermon - Pentecost 10 2008

I didn't want to leave without posting this sermon from today. One of the best I've done for several months, IMHO. I was really on fire. Got to do the video, too, since at least one person told me that my use of body language was the best he'd seen me do. Nice to go out on a bang!

The amusing thing is that during most of the prep for this sermon I had focused Jesus's parable about the wheat and the tares. But about half an hour before the service my attention shifted back to the Hebrew Bible lesson about Jacob's dream of the ladder. So when I got up to preach my notes were completely useless and I ignored them. Instead I found a homiletic butter-zone around dreams and stayed there. About half way through the sermon I was getting chills and goose bumps as I felt the energy flowing--at the moment it felt like I was shifting gears in a sports car: I stepped to the side of the lectern and dropped my voice and just made a connection.

When this stuff works is incredibly satisying. Naturally, extemporaneous preaching doesn't always go this well for me. But when it does, it makes the self-judgment totally worthwhile. Anyway, enjoy...



Here's a direct link to the MP3 file...

-t

No comments: