Saturday, July 19, 2008

Getting Ready to Leave...

It looks like I'm not going to get the financing together in time to get a bid in on that house I liked. The mortgage broker ran into trouble getting my housing allowance recognized by the potential lenders. He's going to work on it more next week, but the offer is due Monday. Oh well. Lot's of fish in the sea. And my Real Estate Agent tells me that the market is shifting towards buyers and away from sellers right now, anyway. So we should just enjoy our vacation and tackle this monkey again when we get back.

In the mean time, I oriented the house-sitters to our place and have been running around taking care of various pieces of business. For instance, I had to make sure we have enough cat food at home to take care of the little beasts while we are gone.

I had a dream last night that Betsy came home. I miss her a lot. Her latest blog entry compares her summer Greek program with camp. From the entry:
  1. We temporarily live in close quarters in what we all agree are substandard accommodations: just like camp
  2. 0We eat together and share our food concoctions made with whatever happens to be at hand: just like camp
  3. We go around town and to the shops with our set of friends: just like camp
  4. We go on adventures and out for entertainment in the evenings and weekends (some went to Giants Causeway this past weekend, others went to Opera in the Park last night): just like camp
  5. We don’t have a “camp song,” but we do have a “camp motto” μάθων πάθων (learning by suffering): just like camp
  6. Many have exchanged email addresses and phone numbers vowing to keep in touch: just like camp
(source)

I really need this vacation, I'm realizing. I'm tired and frustrated and need to be inspired by the otherness of a place like Turkey.

-t

No comments: