Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ash Wednesday

Last night I had a strange dream. I was observing a two-cell prison floating on a lake. There was a guard on this floating prison. Suddenly, the whole thing sank and me with it. Now I was the guard, and I watched as the prison swirled downward in some kind of vortex. Many books and objects were swirling in the descent. I had the sense that I needed to swim deep, to follow the prison and the books and the other things as they went deeper, even if it meant that I would drown. As I twisted around in the dark, cold water, I became aware that I had already gone too deep to return to the surface before drowning. There was a moment of calm acceptance as I watched some bubbles float past me. Then my mind took me out of that dream and into another. It seems like a great metaphor to explore in a sermon, and I may use it Sunday, but it seemed too self-indulgent to use it this evening.

Today I went by the Anglican Book Centre to buy some worship stuff. Mostly I got some more hymnals from around the Communion, but I also bought some incense charcoal for the Wednesday Contemplative Eucharists, a clerical collar, extra palm ash (in case our small supply ran out), and a few other odds and ends. But the purchase that pleased me most was two very nice (reproduction) icons. I hung the one of the Trinity (no, not a copy of Rublev's) in my office and one of the crucifixion (with Mary and John, naturally) in my new "Vestry." This way I have something to meditate on while I put on my vestments. It's hard to have too many icons. If are even at a loss of what to buy an Anglican priest for a gift, go with either scotch or icons.

The Ash Wednesday supper and Eucharist went extremely well. The turnout was great despite the weather, and the liturgy itself went incredibly well. There was an abiding prayerfulness and dignity to the whole thing that was just amazing. The musical choices Matthew and I worked out had a lot to do with that, but I think every other factor in the liturgy worked, as well. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a chance to post an audio clip of the sermon I gave. The choir also did an incredible job with a version of the Advent Prose we took from the St. Greg's music book. Yes, I know it's slightly unorthodox to use the Advent Prose in Lent, but I tell you that the music and the text are just too perfect a fit to pass up!

Tonight I'm tired and proud of my church for doing worship well. We have such a good thing going here that I can't wait to see it flourish.

Here's wishing you a Holy Lent!

-t

No comments: