Monday, February 11, 2008

Take This Bread

I just finished reading Sara Miles' Take This Bread. It's a memoir about her adult conversion to Christianity and subsequent effort to found a bunch of food banks in San Francisco. She's a Anne Lamott kind of Christian--nice and feisty. Actually, I wonder whether they know each other--they both live in the Bay Area, are professional word types, and are liberal Christians...
Anyway, Sara's book is a good account of how modern, thoroughly secular people can come to faith through powers outside their control. I have to say that meeting her was really something. Sometimes you can just look in someone's eyes and know that they've got something special in the whole God thing. As if that weren't enough, she has a way of touching people (I mean literally, as in hugging and kissing on the cheek and so forth) that is holy in that earth-mother meets eco-warrior kind of way.

My next book? Dante's Divine Comedy. I haven't read it since College, but something about that epic poetry is calling me right now...

It's my day off. I joined a gym, bought some cable to make a better connection from the wall to my cable box, and now I think I'm going to go to the convent to pray with the Sisters. Yep, it's Lent!

-t

No comments: