Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Bishop's Daughter

Honor Moore, the Daughter of Bishop Paul Moore (former Bishop of New York City), published an excerpt from her upcoming book The Bishop's Daughter in the New Yorker this week. You can hear an audio clip in which she discusses the public and private sides of his life here. The big thing in the article is that she discloses in public what many people already knew, that Bishop Moore was in the closet and had a male lover for many years. What's hard for me reading this is that I'm aware of stories about her father than are not nearly so benign a take on his sexual exploits while bishop. I can't say much more than that since I didn't witness anything first hand--I've only heard hearsay from people that were priests under his authority--but it ain't pretty or innocent if they're true. Of course I have no interest in attacking a dead Bishop's memory, but it does put the Christian community in a weird place if we want to uphold justice and truth-telling on the one-hand and avoid painful public controversy or gossip on the other.

Anyway, it's another chapter in our church's life...

-t

2 comments:

G said...

Clearly I need to hear your scoop on +Moore...

Tay Moss said...

Sure, Geoff, the next time I see you at some event just ask me and I'll give you the details in person.
-t