Saturday, February 23, 2008

Hard Drive Failure

Uhhg--one of my three Hard Drives seems to have failed. It's a 360GB Maxtor drive that I use for storing media like MP3 files and all my Digital Picture files. I'd say I've got backups for less than a third of that, so if it's completely unrecoverable than I'm in trouble. My entire digital music collection is on that drive, along with thousands of photos I've taken or collected over the years. Right now it is emmitted a strange sound when it powers up. Not good.

But... I've been getting some weird behavior from my motherboard so I'm hoping it's just a bad controller. The verdict will come when I try to hook up the drive to a new motherboard and see how that goes. Incidentally, check out the motherboard I'm thinking of basing my new system on...

Note the integrated water-block. That means that the board uses a water-based cooling system; it's more efficient than traditional air, but also harder to set-up. Definitely a 1337 kind of deal. But it also makes for a faster and quieter computer.

Sorry to geek out on loyal readers--but I do like to be well-rounded in my interests!

-t

2 comments:

Norah Bolton said...

Hi Tay:

Sounds like time for Data Deposit Box or a similar online backup system - everything is backed up as you go - low cost and it is all there if you need to retrieve something in a hurry from any compouter anywhere. I've tried it for the past month or two and am well satisfied with it.

BTW - you promised to send me the coordinates for Parkdale Deanery Website - the Council is back in businees - and the storyboards are now up to 4/7 including ours. You can see them on a future visit.

You can remove this one and leave your readers wondering who you blackballed!

Best regards
Norah Bolton
norahb@rogers.com

Tay Moss said...

Yeah, an online backup utility might be a good idea, I could also just configure my computer to take advantage of the network file server we have for this purpose (currently backing up the computer used for the finances, etc.).

Oops, sorry about the Parkdale deanery website info. I'll send that to you soon and in a less public fashion!

The story board is done? Neat. I'd like to see that.

-t